Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jemez 50

To be honest this race was sort of a toss up for me. It's 3 weeks before my shot at the Big Horn 100, and was sort of treating this as my last big-big day before the BIG DAY at Big Horn. The Jemez 50k is a 33 mile trail run through beautiful Los Alamos, NM. It consists of 4 major climbs totaling about 7800 feet of total gain, with one climb that take you up 1700 feet in under 2 miles (aboout a 18% grade). I knew this race was going to be tough.....this was a complete understatement. I toed the starting line with 179 other fleet footed runners. I somehow got bumped to the front of the line, which was not where I wanted to be knowing I would be passed by a huge pack of runners at the gun.
The race starts with a half mile run down the road before you hit the trail and begin a 700 foot climb to Mitchell TH for the first big climb of the day. I ran pretty safely at the top 50% of the group at what felt like a pretty comfortable pace. I knew it would be a warm day so i had my hand bottle and a bottle at my waist with about 15 or so salt tabs.  I make it to MitcHELL still feeling comfy and begin this nasty climb of 1500 feet in about 2.2 miles. It was a tough haul but i managed to keep my position for whole thing. From a top its a solid 1000 foot drop down to the next climb. I took on this descent the only way i know how...recklessly. I pounded up on over rocks, streams and people. I gained a few positions on the way down and got the ol' quads warmed up. From there its about 1.5 miles on fairly flat terrain to the next climb. One section included a 15 foot ladder climb. This was interesting and funny, since i had forgotten to close my hand bottle, so i proceeded to drench the people on the ladder below me...woops.  We slogged along across a few streams and to the Caballo base. Caballo is the beast of the course. It take you straight up to 10,500 feet at the rate of about 850 feet vertical ascent per mile. This was pretty much a death march the whole way. My POS hand bottle spilled my remaining water all over me, which ultimately led to my shorts partly freezing over. I was not a very happy camper until i finally crested the summit of the mountain to a view I have never seen before. This was a panorama of prodigious wonder. I took it in for about a minute grabbed a fig newton to yet again fly down the mountain like a mountain goat on speed. I ran very hard and again gained about 6 or 7 positions on the group. I tossed my hand bottle at the aid station and continued on to the next climb(sounds fun right?). From Cabllo base to Pipeline it was a 3 mile, 1200 climb. I settle into a solid hike/run pace and managed yet a few more passes. From Pipeline to the Ski Lodge it is mosty flat/rolling. Who know what clicked in me but i just began to feel awesome. I rarely stared at my watch and just ran. I was around mile 18 with 15 to go. I found a solid clip on this out and back. This gave me a chance to see the leaders coming back. I counted off and found myself to be around 30th? or so. Zipped through ski lodge and back out to tackle the end of this race. I was 22 miles in and had covered about 6500 feet of vertical ascent. My hydration and nutrition were spot on. The scenery was like none other. I have been running in Colorado for 4 years and this was by far near the top of the list as one of the most gorgeous running courses. 
         Im well into the second half of the race, which is normally the beginning of my demise. Today was different, I was having a tremendous day and nothing could stop me at this point. I pushed this section strong and took it oneo Gauje Ridge at mile 25, then i heard something for the first time ever. The aid station volunteer told me i was near the top 20. This was great! But at the same time i knew that i might get out of hand trying to hold this position. I kept my wits about me and began to pick some people off. My legs were feeling very strong and I had enough left to run all the climbs and really pount the descents. I zeroed in on this man in all ty dye. He began a walk up a short climb and i just took this on full speed ahead to make the first late race pass. Then came a pretty scary series of falls. My legs were much tired than i thought. Every rock i was jumping over, my right foot would catch the top leading to me face planting. Luckily enough sand in the mouth and eyes is not a serious running injury. I also found a serious little hot spot in my shoes where a few rocks found a place to chill. At this point i would run my feet bloody before stopping. I pushed up another hill to make pass number 2, this sparked a fire in this man. We had a sweet little testosterone driven battle for a mile or so before he began to walk. I pull into the last aid station at Rendajia Canyon, with 1.9 miles to go. I was completely thrashed at this point. I took down a cup of coke and took a quick sponge bath. One last little climb out of the canyon and on to the finish. I make one more pass, and crest the climb and let out the biggest roar of my life. With a hoot-n-holler off my chest, i felt great!...for about 25 seconds. The wear and tear was catching up to me, but i couldnt bring myself to walk at this point. Coming off of an extremely tough 50 miler  a few weeks ago, i had to get my revenge. My arms went completely numb, my face followed. I was running on nothing but pute grit, determination and stubborness. I dug myself deeper and deeper into the pain cave with each step.....pavement. Im almost there, "suck it up and go rob!" i yell to myself. A quick loop around a park and onto a rock wall? I climb on my hands and knees and drag myself across the finish in the top 20! I clumsily trudged through the finishing chute and collapsed into the arms of my friend Lindsey, and onto the grass. SUCESS. I let out one more WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and throw my arms up in the air. This was the best race I have had in quite a while. Greg came over for a much needed high five and glass of water. My body desperately called out for a beer but no such luck. I continued my tradition of waiting for the next few people to finish to give them a big smelly hug and congrats. This is what the race is all about for me, not my time, not my position. Its the connection with the trail, and your fellow racers. Its about the adventure with your mind, body and spirit. I let myself be blinded by numbers at my last race. Today i ran free, and it paid off. Big thanks to Lindsey and Greg for the support after doing their own 3000 foot vertiacal half marathon. The JMTR is the best organized race I have been a part of. I will for sure be back. This race org. makes the USAT Collegiate Nationals look like a joke. They were on top of everything and made this an amazing day for everyone.

      3 weeks to the biggest race of my life, after today i have complete confidence in myself and my amaizng friends that we will cross the finish line on Saturday, June 18th as new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment